The best summer isn’t all about good weather… it involves good food! Instead of running to the nearest restaurant: try making a super summer dish from one of the top chefs in Amsterdam. Every month one chef will give you a sneak-peak into his kitchen by sharing one of his recipes. Que aproveche!
Chef Boy van der Loop works at Spanish restaurant Mercat. He is inspired by everything that has Spanish flavour. Together with other (Spanish) chefs he prepared an extensive a la carte menu. Mercat is situated on the Oostelijke Handelskade and has a terrace and garden where you can enjoy true Spanish summer delight.
Classic Paëlla Pollo
– 12 small chicken drumsticks
– 1 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 tomatoes, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 500 g of seafood (mix of seafood)
– 5 saffron threads
– 1 stock cube
– 8-10 glasses of water
– 400g paella or risotto rice
– 1 lemon, cut into wedges
– salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C. Rub the chicken drumsticks with salt and let it roast for 15 minutes in a roasting pan with some oil.
- Fry the peppers, onion, tomato and garlic with a bit of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.; do not let the colour fade. Add the seafood, saffron, stock cube and water and turn up the heat a little higher. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture boils, add the rice with salt and pepper. Once the boiling point is reached, turn the heat down so that it continues to boil slightly.
- After 10 minutes add the drumsticks and turn the drumsticks after 5 minutes. Don’t stir the rice; simply let it boil until the rice has absorbed all the moisture. Garnish it with lemon and it is ready to serve.